Sometimes we all need a little snack to get us through the afternoon or hold us over to our next meal. When you are eating keto, you can’t reach for typical snacks like fruit or crackers.
Instead, you have to choose keto friendly snacks that won’t derail your diet. Sure you can munch on keto friendly snacks like cheese, nuts, or deli meat, but that can get boring after a while. Also, sometimes we just need something sweet.
These coconut protein bites may be just the change you are looking for. They are easy to make, portable, high in protein, and of course, keto friendly.
What to Look for in Keto Friendly Snacks
The typical keto diet is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet. Generally, it involves eating about 75% of your calories from fat, 20% from protein, and 5% from carbohydrates. The important thing is to keep your carbs low. Most keto dieters eat between 20-50 grams of carbs per day.
The goal of such a low carb intake is to get into a metabolic state called ketosis, where you begin to burn fat instead of carbs for energy. Once you are in ketosis, your appetite decreases, and you begin almost effortlessly losing weight.
But, weight loss isn’t the only reason why people try keto. Other benefits include better mental clarity, stable energy throughout the day, and blood sugar control. For many people, keto just makes them feel their best.
In order to achieve the metabolic state of ketosis, you must choose foods that fit into your carb limit for the day. Therefore, all meals and snacks must be low in carbs but high in protein and fat. This requirement eliminates a lot of typical snacks you might reach for because many snack foods are high in carbs.
Finding tasty keto friendly snacks is what will help keep you on track. These keto protein bites are a perfect snack choice to help you meet your nutrition goals.
Benefits of Keto Friendly Protein Bites
Keto friendly protein bites meet the macronutrient requirements of the keto diet. This means they keep the protein and fat content high while keeping the carb content low. But what about the ingredients? Are they healthy? Here is a breakdown of the nutritional benefits of each ingredient:
- Almond butter. High in healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber to help keep you full and well-fueled.
- Unsweetened coconut cream. A source of flavor and mouthfeel for these coconut protein bites. Coconut cream is also high in fat to help boost the nutrition content of the bites.
- Clean MCT® oil. Pure C8 MCT oil helps propel you into ketosis and gives you fast-acting, yet long-lasting energy.
- Vanilla Keto Protein powder. Provides a complete amino acid profile to keep you full throughout the day. Protein helps you reach your weight loss goals and fuels strong and healthy muscles.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut. Provides texture and some flavor to the coconut protein bites. Shredded coconut is also high in fiber and fat to help keep you full longer.
Every ingredient in these keto friendly protein bites serves a purpose for taste, nutritional value, or to help you stay in ketosis.
Although a snack with the right nutrition is amazing, if a keto friendly snack is not easy to prepare, it is unlikely you will actually make it. Who has time to be in the kitchen for hours prepping snacks?
In developing this recipe, we made sure to keep your time in mind. These bites involve just mixing the ingredients. That’s it. They don’t require baking, special tools, or detailed instructions. Just mix, scoop, and freeze. What could be easier?
How to Make Keto Coconut Protein Bites
As we mentioned, these keto protein bites are incredibly easy to make. Just mix, form into bites, and freeze. They are also very versatile. The base recipe can be modified to vary the flavor. Here are a few ways you can change the original recipe:
- Use peanut butter or other nut butters instead of almond butter. Just make sure it's sugar-free.
- Add a scoop of collagen to boost the protein content further.
- If you are really craving a sweet taste, once the bites are frozen, consider rolling them in Superlose®, for a dessert-like treat.
- Our grass-fed keto protein also comes in chocolate, which can always be used instead of the vanilla flavor in these bites.
Keep in mind that these modifications may change the nutrition content of the keto protein bites.
Tips for Storage and Meal Prep
One of the best things about these coconut protein bites is that they can be made ahead of time and are portable. You can take them to work for an afternoon pick me up. They make an amazing on-the-go breakfast to fuel your entire day. You can eat them in the car on the way to the gym for a quick boost of energy.
Keep them in the freezer until you are ready to eat them; they will start to melt a bit once removed. They can keep in the freezer in a sealed container for up to 6 weeks, so you can pull them out whenever you get a craving for something sweet.
Keto Coconut Protein Bites Recipe
Having a variety of keto snack recipes handy is essential if you're going to maintain your sanity on the keto diet! These keto protein bites give you a little hint of sweetness without adding any carbs to your day. They are also a great way to use your LevelUp® grass-fed keto protein in something other than smoothies.
- 2 Tbsp Almond Butter
- 4 Tbsp Unsweetened Coconut Cream
- 1 Tsp Clean MCT® oil
- 3 scoops of Vanilla Keto Protein powder
- 3/4 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
Mix almond butter and coconut cream until smooth. Add remaining ingredients.
On a cookie sheet or other flat surface, form the mixture into bites with a 2 tsp cookie scoop or a tablespoon.
Store in the freezer. They will set in just a few minutes! Thaw briefly before serving.
- 8 servings (2 pieces/serving)
- 115 Calories
- 11g Fat
- 1g Net Carb
- 3g Protein